Kennel.com Forum  

Go Back   Kennel.com Forum > Main Category > Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Kennel.com Member

Default German Shepherds - how big do they get?

Our friend could no longer care for her German Shepherd, so we took him in. Balzac is about a year old - so far, we could not be more pleased with him!! My question is....how big do German Shepherds get?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Kennel.com Member

Arrow German Shepherds and size...

The biggest indicator of the adult size of your German Shepherd depends on its parents genetic background. The standard adult male size ranges between 24-26" at the shoulder blade. The standard adult female size is between 22 & 24".

General estimates for the weight of males can be anywhere between 65 to 90 lbs and females range from 55 to 80lbs. Keep in mind, genetics and bloodlines are big factors.

By the time your German Shepherd is a year and a half (or even as young as 10 months) he/she will be close to its adult height. However, your dog can continue to 'fill out' until it is 3 years old.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Talking Hip Dysplasia

As with any big dog--keep their "ideal" weight. Don't let the dog get overweight b/c they are succeptible to hip dysplasia--very painful for a dog to have. If you maintain the weight, you will not only help avoid it but you will also extend the doggies life. =)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
lee pelahm

Default german shepard small

Hi can any one help, my german sheard is 1 year old and a boy but he is only 21inc hight is there some thing
Wrong with him as he just looks like a pup still.
Thanks
Lee
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Default German Shepherd owner

Generally they will continue to grow till up to 2 yrs of age. But most of the growing is in the first year.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Smile jake (my dog)

i love german shepherds i have a 6 mouth old male named jake i love him he loves me 2 and i dont know y im telling ppl bout him i just love him the much soo whats not 2 talk about he is a ladys man!!!! lol he really does loves me and shows it too like...... when my boyfriend comes over he barks and barks and NEVER leaves my side and when we go into a kiss right b4 we kiss he jumps on him and pushs him back sooo we never really get 2 kiss but as long as jake stays happy im happy!!!!!! well bye

bye bye bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Unregistered

Arrow yourfriend

]Our friend could no longer care for her German Shepherd, so we took him in. Balzac is about a year old - so far, we could not be more pleased with him!! My question is....how big do German Shepherds get? Iknowhowbig german sheperds get!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Edith

Thumbs up German Shepherds - an awesome breed!

German Shepherds can get pretty big - they grow fast in first few years of life. This breed is also strong, fearless, very protective and so confident. I know I would feel very safe having a German Shepherd, that's for sure!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Talking My german shepherd

this is my first german sheperd and right now she is about 3-4 mos and weighs 20lbs. Is that about normal? we got rescued her so they claim she is mixed but we dont know if she is or not so how do we know how big she will actually get?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Unregistered

Default German Shepherds - how big?

A male full breed German Shepherd can weigh up to 95 pounds - females do weigh less - maybe up to 80 lbs. Height can go up to 25 - 26 inches. However, if your German Shepherd is a mix - that can throw off the height & weight estimates. Have you taken your German Shepherd to the vet yet? Also note that German Shepherds grow fast their first year and continue until they're 3 years old.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

Default my german shephard was not fed properly

hi, i got a 3 months old german shephard that wasn't fed properly from a friend. now she's six months old and wont grow as expected. what do i feed her with to make her have a fast growth?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Arrow Puppy food for essential development and growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi, i got a 3 months old german shephard that wasn't fed properly from a friend. now she's six months old and wont grow as expected. what do i feed her with to make her have a fast growth?
I would suggest that you stick with puppy food to try to get the nutrition she needs. As you probably already know, puppy food is higher in protein and enriched with vitamins, fats and minerals - all which are essential for growth.

Another suggestion is to use a better quality or higher premium puppy food. While there are specific nutrient standards that have to be met for pupply foods (which is essential for growth), higher quality brands usually go above and beyond and exceed those standards making sure it supports proper, nutritious and essential puppy development.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

I just got my puppy he turned 8 weeks old the day I got him and the breeder told me to stop giving him puppy food at 5 months old so I dont kno if continuing to give ur pup the puppy food when shes already 6 months is a good idea. I am no expert so I am just going on what the breeder told me and the reason for this is because at about 5 months old they go through a growth spurt and giving them the puppy food can cause them to gross too fast and it is bad for their joints and such. Just thought I would share, but like I said, I dont know if this is right, I just know its what I was told by the breeder of my little guy Gunner enjoy your puppy!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

Default Samantha

Listen it all depends. My shepherd at 14 weeks weighed in at 25lbs, and was 19inches at the shoulder, she is now 6 months old, 25 inches at the shoulder and im sure shes about 50lbs or more shes heavy keep in mind that shes a full blooded german shepherd with shiloh genes in her. her estimated weight is about 110lbs at full growth. My buddies Shepherd is 2 months older than sammy and he's double her size so it all depends on genes...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Smile german shepherd lovers

When Germen Shepherds are born they like to be held or some

most likely like to be left a lone.when you want to buy a dog you got to wait for 8 weeks.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Unregistered

Default is my german shepherd going to be huge??

Hi I adopted a German shepherd from a loving family that lived out in the country, there amazing people. Ever since we adopted Jackson(German shepherd) he's always seemed oddly larger then his litter mates. The litter was only a litter of four and they came out full of nutrients and extremely healthy and big. At 3 months old he weighed 50 lbs. Now he is about 4 months exact.. he weighs 72 lbs. His paws are huge and his head and chest are huge. His legs need to grow to catch up but our vet says he's super healthy and not over weight at all. he eats a lot but is extremely active. I'm wondering how big is he actually going to be. His mom was big but close to normal size. But his dad could almost look over a 6 ft privacy fence. But Jackson is still so young how much bigger can they get ?!? Lol he's a fantastic dog no aggressionwhat so ever . Learned every trick in seconds so I don't think any thing is different about him , he has pedigrees and papers. He's 3rd generation from Germany. Pure bred.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

Default sammie

I have a female she is a year and 5 months, she is 95 pounds! I dont believe she is over weight, i think she just grew to fast! Is this to big for a female?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

Umm that first comment is a lie... I have a full blooded German Shepherd and he is only 9 months old and he is a Male and he is 95 lbs. Da'vinci Vet said that he can range any where from 115lbs to 130lbs...so you might wanna get your facts straight before you post for someones question... Not to offend youu..
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Unregistered

Red face helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover View Post
The biggest indicator of the adult size of your German Shepherd depends on its parents genetic background. The standard adult male size ranges between 24-26" at the shoulder blade. The standard adult female size is between 22 & 24".

General estimates for the weight of males can be anywhere between 65 to 90 lbs and females range from 55 to 80lbs. Keep in mind, genetics and bloodlines are big factors.

By the time your German Shepherd is a year and a half (or even as young as 10 months) he/she will be close to its adult height. However, your dog can continue to 'fill out' until it is 3 years old.

Hope this helps!
This really helped
Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

we have a amazing 19 week old german shepard puppy she is already 40ibs how big will she be full grown her father was 120ibs her mom was about 80ibs