Kennel.com Forum  

Go Back   Kennel.com Forum > Kennel.com Forum > Kennel.com Questions & Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Help with an Rescued American Foxhound

Hi last Christmas my husband and I rescued an abandoned and starved dog from the side of the road. We were able to guess his breed (American Foxhound) off of the amount of dog hunters that live in our area. Unfortunately in our area it isn't uncommon for hunters to turn their dogs loose if they aren't hunting the way the hunter desires and we believe this to be the case with our dog Nelson. Nelson is roughly a year old maybe a year and half and has pretty good manners for being abandoned like he was. My husband and I believe he was abused by his previous owners due to his extreme skittishness at loud noises or abrupt movements or gestures. We have a 2 year old boxer that is well trained and knows multiple commands but I'm not sure how to go about training Nelson like I did with our boxer. The boxer I raised from a puppy but Nelson is already a year to a year and half and I have no experience with working with a hunting dog like Nelson, or one that has most likely been abused.
We re-homed Nelson with a friend of ours about 6 months ago and they have had multiple problems with him such as peeing and pooping in the house. Now the family is looking at getting a service dog and will not be able to keep Nelson so we are taking him back. Having had Nelson for a few days now I haven't seen any of the behavior they said he was displaying (other than stealing my socks). I would like to be able to train Nelson to respond to commands like I did with my boxer but all of the research about the breed I have done say that they are independent and don't really like to follow commands so any help or advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated so my husband and I can give this wonderful dog a fresh and happy start to life.