Kennel.com Forum  

Go Back   Kennel.com Forum > Main Category > Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Catherine

Question Boston Terriers - good w/ children?

We'd like to adopt a Boston Terrier, but wanted to know how they are with kids? Also, are they easy to train? Thank you.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

Arrow Boston Terriers & children - Yes!

The Boston Terrier breed makes a great family pet - definitely great with kids. They are very smart and determined - which makes theym easy to train. You can't go wrong with Boston Terriers and kids!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Catherine

Question Boston Terriers -grooming & health

Thanks for the info! How about grooming - is there a lot involved? And, any specific health issues Boston Terriers are prone to?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Unregistered

Talking Grooming Boston Terriers

Grooming Boston Terriers is considered pretty easy. Boston Terriers have a short, smooth coat - just be sure to use a decent quality comb and firm bristle brush (but not too firm that it won't feel good to your dog). Do this about once a week - this will help remove dirt and keep the coat shiny and in good condition. You will want to use a damp or wet cloth to clean your Boston Terrier's face daily - be sure to keep clean around the eyes! Check ears for ticks. And give your Boston Terrier a bath only about once a month - it really depends on how much it's outside and how dirty it gets. You do want to be careful to not give it baths too often because Boston Terriers are known to have delicate or sensitive skin (try to find an all natural shampoo / soap). Another thing to know is to keep water out of its ears and after giving your Boston Terrier a bath - check the ears and make sure they're dry.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb Boston Terriers health issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Thanks for the info! How about grooming - is there a lot involved? And, any specific health issues Boston Terriers are prone to?
Boston Terriers are generally healthy, but because of their their facial structure, they are prone to respiratory problems. Boston Terriers also overheat very easily. While this is an active breed, they do have to take it easy. Boston Terriers do not do well in either a very hot or very cold climate. Other than than that - it's a great breed, smart, lively, easy to train, loves people, family and wonderful with kids. And Boston Terriers can live to 15 years PLUS! Great choice for a pet : )
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM
jack

Default Boston Terriers- water in ears - problems

Can Boston Terriers get some kind of infection if water remains in their ears or if the inside stays damp?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Nancy

Default Boston Terriers can get yeast infections in their ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Can Boston Terriers get some kind of infection if water remains in their ears or if the inside stays damp?
Keeping your dog's ears dry will help prevent yeast infections. Usually dogs with big floppy ears are more prone to ear infections - but Boston Terriers can get them too even though their ears are short, perky & upright. Just be sure to keep those ears dry! It's good to regulary check your dog's ears anyway for dirt, ticks, scratches, etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Question Ear infections / dogs

If my dog does get an ear infection - is it easy to treat?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Dog ear infections - how to treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If my dog does get an ear infection - is it easy to treat?
Yes, you can try to take care of it yourself by gently cleaning out the ear and removing any wax. Heavily dilute apple cider vinegar or white vinegar with water. Carefully drip it in the ear until the canal is full -if your dog is allowing you - let it soak. Massaging the base of the ear will help the solution to get to all parts of the canal. Then just wipe away the excess. Do this a few times a week - if you don't see any improvement - head to the vet. If you decide you don't even want to bother doing yourself, the vet will do an ear flush and give you drops. Pretty easy. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Default Boston Terriers - allergies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Regarding health issues - Boston Terriers are prone to allergies and atopic dermatitis which is an allergic skin disease. Most common symptoms include itching and skin irritation(redness).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb Boston Terriers - ear infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Keeping your dog's ears dry will help prevent yeast infections. Usually dogs with big floppy ears are more prone to ear infections - but Boston Terriers can get them too even though their ears are short, perky & upright. Just be sure to keep those ears dry! It's good to regulary check your dog's ears anyway for dirt, ticks, scratches, etc.
Also....When you get your Boston Terrier from the breeder - check those ears carefully. I have heard about ear mites coming from place of purchase or breeder. These ear mites can cause a terrible ear infection.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

Default Boston Terriers with children

Sorry to disagree with others on the forum, but must say with my personal experince Bostons are not good with children. My sister has three and they cannot be alone with each other without fighting. I do not allow my two boys, 5 and 9 around them. They are very agressive! I have been visiting with her for 2 weeks an have seen them fight twice like wild animals. On one of their most recent fights two of them pulled one across the yard by her ear, then ripped her leg open. My sister took them to Pet Smart dog for training but I think it was a rip off. I would not get a Boston Terrier with children. I suggest getting a Lab, they are wonderful with children! I suggest getting a Lab around small children. My mother had one when my children were toddlers and she was wonderful!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Default Boston Terriers / kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry to disagree with others on the forum, but must say with my personal experince Bostons are not good with children. My sister has three and they cannot be alone with each other without fighting. I do not allow my two boys, 5 and 9 around them. They are very agressive! I have been visiting with her for 2 weeks an have seen them fight twice like wild animals. On one of their most recent fights two of them pulled one across the yard by her ear, then ripped her leg open. My sister took them to Pet Smart dog for training but I think it was a rip off. I would not get a Boston Terrier with children. I suggest getting a Lab, they are wonderful with children! I suggest getting a Lab around small children. My mother had one when my children were toddlers and she was wonderful!
Good to know a different opinion regarding Boston Terriers and kids- I appreciate your honesty.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Kennel.com Member

Hi Catherine! Yes, Boston Terriers are good with children of any age. Just make sure that the kids are trained not to physically hurt dogs.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Any dog can be "aggressive". I've owned labs for the past 14 years and worked around many at a veterinary clinic and though most of them are wonderful, they can be food agressive and can be snippy as well. The problem is that you never know what you're going to get (in any breed) if you don't buy from a reputable breeder. My husband's uncle's lab bit my son when he was just a baby. Thankfully just on his diapered bottom, but it just goes to show that ANY breed has its nutjobs.

Personally, I've never met a Boston that wasn't a happy-go-lucky little clown, but that's just me.